Friday, May 20, 2011

My Sick Day

My Sick Day
I'm not feeling too good. I stayed in Morningside Mediclinic the night before for some tests. It's not as bad as it sounds because I chose the cheap hospital-only option with Discovery Medical Aid last year so I have to be admitted into hospital if I wanted anything done. I left corporate life to set up shop as a consultant last year and one of the first things that goes when you leave corporate is decent health insurance. I hardly ever get sick and as luck would have it, as soon as I scale down my insurance, I came down with some nasty ear infection last year and I'm still struggling with the after effects. Without going into detail, I had some nasty procedure two nights ago and I still feel lousy.

However, anything that happens in my life ends up being a party. How, you might ask could this situation end up being festive? It started off innocently enough. My cousin Mukai picked me up from the hospital yesterday at noon and I came home and slept most of the day. Then he came back with my mum, who stayed up late with me since I am notoriously insomniac. They stayed over and when off on their merry way i.e. mum went shopping and Mukai played chauffeur. I had planned to stay in all day and when I went online at lunchtime to update my Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/#!/dnpeters, Twitter, @dnpeters, and LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=507035, my boy Milton Kahari came up on Skype and asked if he could swing by, I said sure. He was there in 15 minutes by 1.30pm and started on the rose wine while I fed him the last of my famous BBQ chicken wings from the other night. Next came my mum and my cousin Mukai on their way to my family's new pad in River Club around 3pm. Then came my girl Bonang dropped in from workaround 4pm with a bottle white wine and got started on that. At 5pm my brother Gerald came from the office at RMB and joined the party. Next came my friend and prospective business partner, Japheth from Goodson Capital and the party was well under way. Finally my neighbour Abraham opposite me dropped for a few minutes in to check on me. Milton was still here and getting very merry but was persuaded to get going around 7.30pm. Eventually people started leaving then Gerald's friend Enoch also dropped in for a glass of wine. The two of them set off to Parkhurst to pursue our sisters of the lighter hue and I was finally alone at 9.30pm to watch the DVD I had sent my housekeeper to collect from the video club because I had expected to have a quiet day of rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment