Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend in Harare

Weekend in Harare
I'm in Harare in the run up to the Harare Food, Wine and Home Expo in three weeks. I arrived two days ago and just then I get a call from a real estate agent in Johannesburg that there's an offer from someone in the UN to rent my house in Morningside. I'm moving to West Africa soon for work so I've put my lovely cluster house up for rent. I'd planned to stay in Harare until 15 November but it looks like the tenant wants to move in on 1 November so I will have to go back to Joburg next weekend to pack. What am I gonna do with my furniture? We have another house in River Club so I will put some of it there.

I'm already trying to see all my friends in case I will be rushed before I move. Last weekend I had a BBQ at my place as the last party in that house for a while. As usual it went on for two days but that's normal. Now I'm in Harare partying up a storm which is a challenge when you are trying to maintain your weight. On Friday my friend Zanele and I went to the usual spot, Miller's Cafe at Sam Levy's Village for sundowners. Zanele Chitepo looks after her cute granddaughter so we took her to St Elmo's Restaurant for pizza, hence the threat to my figure. Yesterday, I went to check out Oktoberfest at the German Society with my friends Albert Chimedza, Yvonne Gundu and Zanele Chitepo. It was lame, full of tired expatriates and hangers on so Z and I ended up at Mekka, the new lounge about Miller's Cafe at Sam Levy's. Now that joint is hopping. We intended to pass through for a quick drink but everyone was there and even a trip to the restroom took 20 minutes because you are busy meeting and greeting people along the way. Drinks were flowing and being offered from all sides. We finally left at closing time 11pm, which is kinda early but all those place take their last call at 10.30pm. I left my companions with difficulty because everyone was trying to talk me into joining them at Lime Bar or other clubs. Today being Sunday I decided to stay home but the phone has been ringing with invitations to go out for drinks. I'm going to spend most of next week at Body Active Gym working on the Harare Food, Wine and Home Expo.

No comments:

Post a Comment